Saturday, March 6, 2010

On February 11th, 2010, I was diagnosed with 'clear cell sarcoma' a type of very rare soft tissue cancer. On March 4th, Mayo Medical Clinic confirmed the diagnosis. This is a summary of what has happened so far. I hope it is informative without being overwhelming.

Late November 2009:
I noticed a small lump on my left heel. Nothing major. Consistent with something you would see from wearing a bad pair of shoes.

December 2009:
Gave it a few weeks hoping I had bumped it without noticing or that it was some other small thing. Around Christmas time it had not gone away and had grown significantly.

January 2010:
An additional lump had developed in my upper left thigh consistent with an inflamed lymph node (I thought).
Antibiotics were prescribed and additional testing was ordered.
Results: lump in thigh was said to be a blood clot (later known to be incorrect).

February 2010:

  • 9th - surgery to excise the tissue from my left foot.
  • 11th - Clear Cell Sarcoma Diagnosis
  • 26th - First visit to Mayo Clinic

March 2010:

  • 3rd - PET/CT testing at Mayo Clinic
  • 4th - Informed that the cancer has spread to lymph nodes in my upper left leg and hip as well as my sternum.
  • 5th - Consultation with Dr. Okuno - a medical oncologist @ Mayo Clinic. Recommendations of aggressive chemotherapy treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment