Friday, May 7, 2010

Admission to Hospital in Boston

First of all, I apologize for not getting a post out earlier but the past few days have been very rough.

Wednesday, May 5th:
Flew to Boston, very rough travel. Couldn't walk, had to be transported throughout the airport and my flights in a wheelchair. Arrived in Boston around 5pm and spent the evening in my hotel room in a lot of pain. Couldn't walk due to the pain in my feet and the sternal pain has been nearly unbearable.

Thursday, May 6th:
Very rough morning, took me 45 minutes to get out of bed. Managed to get to the hospital. My second biopsy was completed. Good news there was that some of the tumor in my left groin appeared to be fluid filled, so it's size should decrease when the biopsy incision is all healed up. After the biopsy I was wheeled to the CRC and spent a few hours there trying to rest. It was then that the decision was made to admit me to the hospital due to my pain and condition of my legs. Thursday evening in the hospital was very rough. I had an MRI of my spine and a CT scan of my chest. The MRI was to make sure there wasn't a tumor that was compressing a part of my spine and causing the issues in my legs. The CT scan was to see what was going on with the tumors in my chest. With all of this, there was a lot of movement from my bed to a stretcher to the tables to do the scans then back to the stretcher and to the my bed. Unfortunately, I was in so much pain that they had to use a board to slide me from each platform to another. We completed everything at 11pm. My sister and her husband flew up to Boston for support after hearing I would need to be admitted.

Friday, May 7th:
Today I must have met every doctor in Boston. The visits didn't start until around 9 o'clock this morning but after that it was a revolving door all day. Results of the MRI of my spine showed that there is no significant tumor(s) that are compressing my spine in any way. This is a very good thing. CT scan shows that the cancer in my chest has spread to my right side and may be progressing along an artery that leads into one of my lungs. It also indicated that I do have a few blood clots in my right lung. However, I'm told the blood clots are treatable; I have to get a shot in my belly every day for awhile. This will thin my blood and help break down the blood clot. I was also given a pneumonia vaccination as a precaution.
One very good thing that came out of today is that my pain management is on the right track. I've been on IV pain medication since being admitted to the hospital, but my sternal pain is to the point that morphine just doesn't cut it. So I'm now on morphine's big brother; a drug called Dilaudid. 4mg every 2 hours.

Summary:
Admitted to the hospital for at least 2 more days.
Intense pain in my chest and am still unable to use my legs properly.
Blood clots in my right lung which are treatable.
Cancer in chest has spread to the right side.
Cancer sites that we are monitoring have grown approximately 10%.
Currently on IV pain management.

Current Plan:
MRI my legs.
Solidify a pain medication regiment.
Get as much rest as possible over the weekend in hopes of being able to return home as soon as possible.

Most Importantly:
Thank you so very much. I could never name everyone that deserves an individual thank you this past week and since my diagnosis. Thank you to all of my co-workers; those that are covering my work load, those that have offered additional support and prayers outside of work. Thank you to everyone that has sent a text message to chat while I'm here, it's great hearing from friends in times like these. Thank you Aaron Hyde, your phone call was a life changer.

2 comments:

  1. This certainly isn't very good news. We wish there was something more that we could do for you, but the best thing we can give you is our love and prayers. We pray that they will figure out what is causing you so much pain in your legs. We are proud of you for fighting this with everything you've got. We're so glad that Lynn & Ben were able to come and give you moral support. Get lots of rest. We Love you. JoAnn & Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating and annoying. You are such an amazing man - tackling this head on with strength! Stay strong! Keep fighting! I am so grateful that your sister and her husband were able to be with you. I am praying for you, as are many at Deere and some in my family. We won't stop storming Heaven - asking for pain mitigation and for healing. Rest up for the trip home. dj

    ReplyDelete