Saturday, March 13, 2010

News from the U of I Hospitals and Clinics

First and foremost, I am still going to beat this thing. No matter what the physicians say.

Friday, March 12th:
Met with Dr. Milhem.
  • Troubling news: Per Dr. Milhem, due to level of progression of this particular type of cancer, we will not be able to cure me of this desease. At this point, it will be terminal but we do not know when. Current estimations (very vague) are 3-4 years. Dr. Milhem also asked if I would be open to options other than chemotherapy as it is only known to slow this cancer about 5% of the time.
  • MRI of my brain: preliminary results indicate no spreading of the cancer into my brain.
  • Good news: Dr. Milhem is aware of a clinical trial in Boston, MA at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute that may have success rates in slowing this type of cancer in the 20-30% range.
  • In addition to this trial, there are 1-2 other clinical trials that may be in my future to see what we can do.
  • In general: my body's immune system needs to wake up. Apparently, my immune system can fight this thing, IF it begins to recognize it as dangerous. For now, the cancer is fooling my immune system into thinking that it is posing no threat.

Hope* In 2% of clear cell sarcoma cases, the body suddenly and inexplicably "wake's up" and begins fighting back and a remission of the cancer takes place. I fully intend to add to this 2% and be another medical miracle.

For now, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Next Step: Dr. Milhem is in communication with Dana-Farber to get the clinical trial treatment started ASAP. We hope this starts early next week. Until then... I'm enjoying my weekend and my time with Ashley.

Thank you all.

4 comments:

  1. Chris---I am so glad to see that you are keeping a positive attitude on this. I really do believe that a positive attitude is necessary if one is going to beat this. We do have you in our prayers. Who is the pretty girl next to you?

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that your staying so strong and positive...that will get you through this! We will be praying for you everyday until the day you beat this! Stay strong!
    ~Adam Sherer & Erica Hall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roberts -- we have been thinking & praying for you!!

    Jason P. and Katie Rue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, Just heard about this today, don't know how I did not hear about this sooner. Glad to hear you are staying positive during this time, I know that helped when Christian was dealing with his diagnosis and treatments. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Chad Arnold & family.

    ReplyDelete