Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Consent Forms Signed - New Info

Ok, so let's get a little technical here. This is part of what it says on my consent form:
Protocol Title:
Phase 1 Safety, Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Study of PF-02341066, A C-MET/HGFR Selective Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor, Administered Orally to Patients with Advanced Cancer.
(So... the drug I am taking is made by Pfiezer and is called PF-02341066)

Another part of the consent form explains:
"Tumor growth is found to be largely controlled by tiny structures on the outer surface of tumor cells called growth factor receptors. A particular growth factor receptor, called c-MET/HGFR has been well known for its role in the regulation of cell growth and invasion of tumor cells."
(Basically - this c-MET/HGFR gizmo on some of my cells might be the way in which my cells are being told to become cancerous. So... we're going to give this PF-02340166 a try and see if it can just shut that little gizmo off)

Also - I found out that the reason I have to come out to Boston for everything is not because I can't take the pills back home with me. It is because of the way clinical trials must be run. All of my blood draws and testing MUST be done out here at the facility which is administering the clinical trial. I will be sent home with pills that I have to take every day.

Tomorrow starting at 7:15am:
Blood draw, CT prep and scan, EKG. (To get baseline numbers before I start my drugs)

On a different note, I'm a little disappointed that my old body isn't waking up and kicking this thing square in the teeth. So I'm hoping that after treating my wonderful body to a little 'Legal Seafood' in the Prudential Building this evening, it appreciates the pampering and decides to help me out with this whole cancer thing. As someone recently reminded me, "over the course of 12 months, every cell in our body is replaced with a new one". With that said, I think I'll just go ahead and choose not to replace any of these cancer cells with anything but healthy ones.

It has been an incredible help being back in Waterloo around my family and some of my close friends. I was able to enjoy a Saturday lunch this past weekend with some of my family. That support and proximity to those important people has helped tremendously on the rough days.

I say this a lot, but I can't say it enough; all of the support is so very overwhelming and appreciated more than any of you will ever know. THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment