Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dana Farber Follow-up & small but good news

Today was an all day event in the CRC. Very simply, this visit was to make sure that my body is still handling the chemo without doing damage. This consisted of 3 blood draws and 6 EKGs over a 9 hour period. My EKGs looked perfect as well as the blood work. So far, so good, the chemo isn't doing any permanent damage at all. Chalk one up for the new era of targeted medicine. The best news: I can start eating small meals with my pills starting on May 7th. No more of this fasting before and after stuff. For some reason Pfizer bumped the date up... which I very much appreciate.

Dr. Charles Yoon (he did my biopsy) stopped by to follow-up on the incision made from my biopsy. Everything has healed very well and he'll open it up again in two weeks to do a follow-up biopsy after being on the chemo treatment for 28 days.

Dr. Butrynski paid me a visit. We discussed some of the changes in the pain in my chest and potential pain management possibilities for down the road if things change. For now I prefer to take as few pain killers as I can, yet stay comfortable.

Other than that, I slept nearly all day. It feels like I've slept 16 hrs of the last 24 and cannot seem to be able to shake the feeling of exhaustion.

As of today, the pain in the left side of my chest is almost completely gone. The downside is that it seems to have migrated to the right side of my chest. The discomfort is a mirror image of what I felt on my left side. Even Dr. B doesn't know why or how that would happen. We hope to learn more in June when I have my second CT scan.

Next Step:
I'll be right back here in 2 weeks. The only thing different from this appointment will be a follow-up biopsy before I head over to the CRC. For those of you wondering if this is or isn't working; we really won't know until after I get my second CT scan which is scheduled for my June 2nd-3rd visit. It's a lot of waiting (believe me I know), but we won't really know until then.

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers and support. I do believe that those prayers have contributed greatly to the reduction of pain in my chest.

Until I have more news, Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. It's working! We must trust in that!! Travel home safe. See you Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out and, like many others, will do whatever I can. Don't hesitate to ask, really! - Samantha

    ReplyDelete